FordContour.Org

Now the proud owner of TWO

jeffmknight

Been having a good time with the ole' no.630 with the recent power mods and some cosmetic changes. Such fun that I couldn't resist the temptation when a decent looking Silver Frost popped up on my locals for a damn cheap price. Wrecking yard cheap! Well, turns out it was a wrecking yard..

It's a 98 with 146k miles. Ad says it needs an ignition lock cylinder, $700 obo. Guy says it was an insurance tow that was about ready to go out to auction. Owner didn't want to pay his insurance so he lost it.

Took a friend with me to get it in downtown Salt Lake. Not too bad looking: some clear peel on the passenger side, and a bubbly tint job. All the body looks good, no dents. Nice interior in the same midnight blue as my no.630. All four sideskirt caps in place, score!

Turns out the key is stuck ON and can only be turned to START from there.. so to kill the car just put it in fifth and let the clutch out, open the hood and unhook the battery. Gonna see a locksmith about this ASAP. There's one across the street from the pawn shop here..

Near stock. Only mods I see are some nice sail panels, one blue front blinker bulb and the other missing, and there is some sub wiring. Also, there are pioneer tweeters at the top of the front door panels, possibly more good speakers hiding in the grilles.. Engine bay looks good, fairly clean for having sat the three months to clear auction hold. Shifts smooth and has really good power. Actually, on the way back from buying it, we did a 3rd gear pull and it was funny how close it was to my extensively-modded no.630 I was driving..

Also looks like its time for control arms on it, as well as struts, strut mounts & bearings. And there's a rattle coming from the top end of the motor. This is more concerning to me now because I found a receipt in the glovebox for 120 miles ago the previous owner had it at a mechanic for what was described as a spark plug blowing out the top of the engine, and the resulting thread repair work. Would the rattle from the top end have anything to do with the plug launching out of its threads? Like cylinder overpressure from a bad exhaust valve or something? Or worse, piston contact? Fluids look fine..

Well.. I guess I should save the questions for discussion in the appropriate forums.

I will post some pics of the new addition to my addiction later today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...