FordContour.Org

'98 V6 PCV popped off now pinging

864x4

The bottom hose on the PCV the runs under the LIM came off, I drove it a couple times with out knowing. I noticed the car was pinging on accleration but did not know why. While changing the oil I noticed the PCV. The car still pinged and was hesitating on acceleration after puting the PCV back on. I got the codes checked and had P0401, P0402, P0420, P1131. So today I changed the UIM\LIM gaskets, cleaned everything to resolve the P0401 and P0402. The car still pings. Did I do irreversable damage driving with the PCV off? What about the P0420 and P1311? The codes did not return during the test drive but it still pings. Not sure where to go from here.

Pinging is most likely caused by blocked EGR passages, not the PCV system. Remove the throttle body and gasket. Behind there you will see a passage that runs around the throttle body opening on the intake manifold. It fills up with carbon over time and completely chokes off EGR supply to the intake manifold. Clean that thoroughly and you should be good.

-Dom

Thanks Dom. Sorry, I did not do a proper introduction with my first post. I am Jason, I have owned the 'Tour 1998 (put 194,000 of the 199,000 miles on it) and have been lurking around both here and CEG for a long time. Very little mod's: BAT Susspension, Tru-Bendz Magnaflow exhaust, K&N with homemade box. Weight reduction via Rust...

I cleaned that out the other day when I replaced the UIM\LIM Gaskets. I received P0401 "EGR Flow Insufficient" again today. After 2 days I have not gotten the P1311 or the P0420 since I replaced the gaskets and corrected the PCV hose I used some MAF Cleaner and sprayed around the engine VAC lines, I had a TINY leak around the VAC Ports on top of the UIM but other than that there were no other leaks. I replaced the DPFE 4 years ago with a Plastic one and had the P401 come back in a couple weeks after replacement. Performance and MPG have been fine until last week when I noticed the Pinging, which may be more of a very noticable tick above 2500 RPM. Below that I do not here it but ithe car does stumble during low RPM accerlation.. I am wondering if the EGR\DPFE is bad, any way to test them? Can a bad MAF cause these symptom's?

No, a bad MAF will not cause stalling. However a broken or cracked vacuum line to the EGR valve can cause that issue.

Apply vacuum directly to the EGR valve at idle and see if the engine stalls. If it stalls, the valve is working correctly. If not, the valve is stuck shut.

The DPFE can be tested electrically with a DVOM or scan tool with Ford specific PID's. You are looking for 1.0-1.2v when idling and it goes up from there when the EGR is opened. If it's at 2.0+v or higher at idle, the sensor is failed.

These are the only 2 hints I can give to help.

-Dom

Ok, just ran some tests. If I pull a vacume on the EGR the rpm's lower and car almost dies, so it is working. Using Alex Peppers OBDII Vehicle Explorer the EGRDP_V is 0.14 at idle and 0.16 at 2500 RPM. DPFE tubs blocked? DPFE bad? The car hesitates when manually increasing the Throttle, however if I disconnect the EGR Vacume line and increase throttle it does NOT hesitate.

EDIT: UNpluged the DPFE and the Volts are 4.9 at idle.

BTW: What is the device that the EGR vacume line connects to? The Solenoid looking thing with the top that spins?

Edited by 864x4

Test #2. According to the Factory Manual, KOEO DPFE voltage should be .3-1.3, mine started at .14. I pulled a vacume on the downstream connection and voltage should have gone above 4, mine went to .16. I see a new DPFE sensor in my near future...

Still have the Ping\knock\tick above 2500 RPM, seems to go away during accleration.....

BTW: What is the device that the EGR vacume line connects to? The Solenoid looking thing with the top that spins?

It's a solenoid to control vacuum to the EGR valve.

Did you clean out the passages in the TB as Dom suggested? I am quite suprised at how fast the soot clogs them up!

I have a good EGR tube with the EGR valve, gasket, and silicon DPFE hoses still attached. Took 'em off my car when I added the Racebits goodies and had it tuned out..

If you end up needing them I can sell 'em dirt cheap.

Edited by jeffmknight

Yes, I have cleaned the TB and passages. I did not remove the egr valve to clean the tube it when I put a vacuumed on the egr at idle, the car almost stalled. With should mean the egr is working fine, right? If it were something like a broken rocker arm or spun bearing or the piston hitting a valve/carbon buildup, the noise would happen at all rpm, correct? Mine does not make the noise below 2500-3000 rpm.

Jeff,

I will pm you about the egr parts.

Sorry, I didn't understand the electrical tests you talked about earlier, so I thought I would throw out there that I had these parts if you needed them. Honestly, it sounds like the EGR is working as designed if it stalled when you applied vacuum to the port.. Though I do find it interesting that the Silver SVT I just sold to my buddy (94GT) has a persistent valve noise at all RPM, that doesn't go away but never really gets worse. I had discovered the PCV line was disconnected at the same place as yours was when I got it :g:

Have you verified that the IMRC is working properly?

Edited by jeffmknight

You said you unplugged the IMRC because it was acting up, so are the secondaries in the open or closed position?

What about the EGR vac solenoid you and Spridget were talking about? Sorry, I am without my Ford CD right now...

Edited by jeffmknight

Like I said, I am without my Ford CD for now so I am quite handicapped...

IMRC plugged in or unplugged though, you will want to make sure the secondaries are fully closed because that will cause problems if they are not. If the IMRC has failed, there's no telling what position it has the butterflies in.

Also, since you determined applying vacuum to the EGR causes it to stumble, and this is also your symptom, I would think the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid would be to blame here, esp since everything else tested ok.. So, basically your EGR operates properly, but IMO the control that runs the EGR may be acting up.

Edited by jeffmknight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are no codes on the computer but the car still hesitates sputters when I give it gas. Especally when under a load at freeway speed. Also, there is a definite rattle at startup and above 2500 RPM but not at idle. Not the typical Chain Tensioner rattle. If the the rattle was a spun rod bearing or some other internal damage, wouldn't it rattle at all RPM's?

Edited by 864x4

• 2 weeks later...