FordContour.Org

Big suprise....

BuckeyeSVT

COP Harness Interest Check  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is there enough interest to build custom harnesses?

• Yes!
    • No!
  2. 2. What price would you feel comfortable buying it at?

• $75.00
    • $100.00
    • $125.00
    • $150.00+

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VVT wasn't for power - It was for emissions. These prats have no clue. Does anyone see on the newer 2001+ engines where the SVT UIM is used? Nowhere, abandoned like the 2.5L was. There isn't even an inkling of the SVT design in anything anymore. What does that tell you? Everyone has moved on.... Here's the manufacturers that use the oval port design in their 3.0L's:

Mitsubishi uses a similar design(4G6), Nissan the same design (VQ30DE), Toyota Camry /Lexus (1MZ)... Should I go on? Perhaps since all the other different manufacturers with all their different engineering departments came up with the same design I guess the SVT design wasn't so superior after all. Perhaps, maybe just possibly since the Contour left the scene in 2000 and the Cougar in 02... The whole intake design obsoleted itself. They knew the engines were on a limited run with the Cougars only - Why redesign the engine when the car was being killed of in a couple of years? Makes more sense to soldier on with the old architecture and save money on other projects.

Hell, look at it this way. Ford Europe gave us the ST200 as the SVT model. They killed it and upgraded it to the ST220.... guess what? Not a single ST200 bit to be found on the car. New body, motor and all... Wonder why? Was the old design not cutting it for 3.0L? I bet... I mean c'mon the damn SVT intake is nothing more than a 1995 Contour/Mystique intake with some extrude honing... They act like it's a bloody diamond or something?

-Dom

So let me get this strait. this harness will be plug and play with a completely stock 2.5 as long as you change the head covers?

Yes. In essence that is completely correct.

-Dom

i want to see this... http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/07/elect...ncept-with.html for a contour... :D

Why? I bet that is a half-million dollar prototype... It can have 640HP, but the car weighs nothing. It's like putting a small block Chevy in a Fiero... Of course it will be quick. Plus, I still don't care for all the "extra" stuff the electric cars need (like a generator engine and such). There's more shiz to go wrong with those cars than ours... I know - I remember when the Priuses came out - what a mess they were.

-Dom

...well the Zetec ports and induction have been wrong from day one.Always had an oval port and central injector...another Ford cock up right,should have been split port right...Split port UIM's rule OK...split port everything ...all those oval port engines are also wrong...What a mess!!! :(

...well the Zetec ports and induction have been wrong from day one.Always had an oval port and central injector...another Ford cock up right,should have been split port right...Split port UIM's rule OK...split port everything ...all those oval port engines are also wrong...What a mess!!! :(

terry you crack me up!

Guest D's nuts

THats one thing I dont understand about how a hybrid last longer. cause it runs on the electric motor till you get to like 20mph or so, and then the gasmotor kicks in. So basically its like continuously cutting the motor on and off the hole time you drive. Which isnt that the leading thing that wears a motor down, turning it on and off??

Hybrids have one wear item no one wants to deal with .... battery packs. They wear out around 70K or so... And the price to replace them is $$$$$!! Plus, the landfill considerations of all those battery packs is another concern.

-Dom

Hybrids have one wear item no one wants to deal with .... battery packs. They wear out around 70K or so... And the price to replace them is $$$$$!! Plus, the landfill considerations of all those battery packs is another concern.

-Dom

not only that but the environmenal impact it takes to produce those things. Green cars indeed.....get a corolla instead.

I had a brilliant plumbing idea... How about split porting my drain lines from my sink so it flows faster? Think about it, the possibilities...?? :P More flow from two small pipes vs. one big one? Man, warp speed on my shower drain then right?

-Dom

Err, no such thing. A Mondeo with a DuraTorq I would love to see.... wish they would put one in a Fusion. However the ST220 version of the Mondeo is a performance version only with the 3.0L V6.

-Dom

Great job there Dom, I can't believe it just last month after changing plugs on my Tour I did my 02 Ram and thought about this very thing. It is way beyond me to figure out, but not think about :lol: Glad you did it......

AF

Edited by Aussie Ford

I never get into the easy projects ... always the hard ones that no one else wants to tackle. This one however, is worth the time.

-Dom

I want to be the first to run heads with electronically controlled and operated timing system...without a chain or a belt. And a big computer w/lots of sensors. Fuel Injectors probably sounded crazy at one time...

Ill get back to you on that.

Keith your message box is full.

Adam

Electronic valves are cool, they are in prototypes within a few manufacturers... Somewhere there is an issue with switching speeds of the valves and that's the reason they haven't debuted yet.

-Dom

VVT wasn't for power - It was for emissions.

People forget that auto manufactures put performance LAST. In order of importance it's manufacturing cost/profitability, emissions, packaging/safety, and then performance.

Granted, much of the new tech can be used for better performance, but to manufacturers, performance means emissions and gas mileage.... not "go faster". Take drive by wire for example. Mechanical throttles with a computer controlled fuel injection... the driver DEMANDS power and the computer compensates. Drive by wire... the driver ASKS for power and computer decides how much to grant. Manufacturers didn't switch to drive by wire for throttle response or higher output.... it's all about emissions.

Electronic valves are cool, they are in prototypes within a few manufacturers... Somewhere there is an issue with switching speeds of the valves and that's the reason they haven't debuted yet.

-Dom

Who is doing it? Is each valve operated seperately? Do they still use cams or are they using linear actuators or something? There was this post over here that got me interested in BMWs valvetronic VVT system that uses some sort of exciter to open the valves independently from the camshaft when needed. So I was thinking although you can get extremely precise exciters I dont know if there is the tech to keep up with the RPMs. But you could simple it all the way down to 2 electric motors (one for each set of cams) and automating the RPM of the electric motors should be easy enough. You could use AC brushless motors that last forever and are extremely efficient, run them with variable (AC) frequency drives...the frequency & rpm go up simultaneously and controlled easily enough with industrial PAC or PLC tech...and you already have a 3-phase AC source...

Anyway if I hit the lotto Ill go straight to developing prototypes ;)

Adam

The last prototype of electronic valve actuators I saw was a solenoid setup, with separate solenoids for each valve. The problem with solenoids in an application like that is heat, heat, heat, and heat. It also makes a fairly large package. The article here http://www.emotionreports.com/industry_ana...tatus_quo2.html also says there is a noise and power requirement problem.

I can only imagine the amperage requirements to operate the solenoid pack that controls the valves. Then, of course is the switching speed - What RPM can the system actually handle? If the engine can only rev to 4,000 RPM because the switching speed is too slow - What's that worth?

-Dom

I can only imagine the amperage requirements to operate the solenoid pack that controls the valves. Then, of course is the switching speed - What RPM can the system actually handle? If the engine can only rev to 4,000 RPM because the switching speed is too slow - What's that worth?

-Dom

IIRC, there have been some pretty outrageous speeds achieved by solenoid actuated valves, the problems come in with longevity and power requirements. The above article quotes 2KW as the power requirement for the system.

Ohh well, I suppose that's alot less than the 1.21 jigawatts needed by the Delorean :P

And people say I don't have a sense of humor?

-Dom