FordContour.Org

late '97 SVT engine replacement - What year 2.5 V6 replacements OK to use?

eliteman76

Hi guys-

Looking for advice, as I can't access the CEG site.

I have found a late '97 SVT {titled as a 1998, but it has the pre-1998 rear from the pictures I've seen thus far:

ScreenShot2012-01-23at123820PM.png

Looking at getting it for daily driver duties.

Question:

Being a 1997 SVT, can I pick up any 2.5 Duratec V6, swap the sensors, intake, flywheel, and call it a day?

I am looking at getting a standard V6 from a Contour or Cougar.

I just am curious how the PCM would react to the engine swap if I drop in a 98-2000 long block.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

That first picture isn't an SVT...lol.

Any 98-2000 long block should work fine. Short blocks would be different, but as long as you are using the whole long block you'll be fine.

-Dom

Your pictures show a pre 98 Contour rear, what looks like a Lexus front end and an SVT interior. I'm confused. Someone is using a lot of crazy glue to put this car together. There were not any pre 98 SVT Contours. If your thinking of buying this car, I would look into what it really is before. To many people rebadging garbage to get a premium price for it.

I looked at this again, the rear bumper is SVT. Someone used the 97 trunk lid on it which is an often done mod. The front picture is probably a screw up by the ad posting. I would still worry about 97 production date. Does anyone know if they were produced in 97 for 98 model year?

What you need to do is get the vin#, manufactur date, and post them. The first SVT's were hand built in late 97 as I understand it and if you have access to one of those that would be really neat. Someone just swapped the trunk lid on the one in the pic and as you will come to find various parts from Contours and Mystiques 95-00 are interchangable. Without the vin# there is just no telling if it is even an SVT.

Don't be fooled just because there are SVT parts on a car. Check my posts regarding my 95GL I have so many SVT & Mystique parts on it that no one just looking at it could tell what it is for sure. If it was a 96 I'd have the SVT instrument cluster too. (The 95 is mechanical not electric) The trunk on my 95 looks like a 98+ it is a simple swap 4 bolts...... really it is a 95 Mystique trunk w/ 98+ Ford reflector. With the SVT E0 wheels one could think I swapped the front end parts from the look.

AF

Thanks for the replies.

I went and tried to look at it, but the yard owner was out running his tow truck and not around.

98svt.jpg

Here is a shot I snapped over the fence. This is about a twin to my 99 SE as I can get.

Looks like someone painted the grille to match, and did a SVT logo on the grille instead of the "Ford".

Not my taste, but easily fixed.

Yes, that other car was accidentally loaded up on the add, but not a big deal. Title stated it's a '98 SVT.

Debating how much of a bear it will be to drop the K member on this. I think that it would be the best way to perform an engine swap regardless, as did this on a couple Tempos back in the early mid 90's.

I was wondering about a deck swap...personally, I would of just smoothed the deck, and filled it, instead of a swap.

From what I could tell by enlarging the picture above, it looks like the larger SVT rotors from what I can tell.

{I swapped SVT rotors onto my SE this year finally, I will say I noticed a bit of improvement compared to stock SE brakes.}

What's funny is I've been looking for a donor engine, and I keep finding 3.0 durance engines. Not in the mood to bother with the 3.0 swap on this one.

Is there any other good reference for a R&I procedure? The old Chilton's manuals are about worthless on this.

And off hand, what exactly happened to the CEG site? It was a really good reference.

That looks more like an SVT notice the door ding guards. Anyway you can pull the engine and tranny out of the top also. If I was changing the engine out first I'd look on LQK to see if I could find the SVT engine. If not I might take a standard V6 and just use the short block installing the SVT heads and intakes if they were good. You could then have a better running V6 that could use regular gas.

There is plenty of info & knowledge right here on engine swaps. Many very smart people around. I would suggest you get a Ford maintenance and repair CD, and a haynes manual. Also when looking at that car check the wiring harness for cracked insulation. What do you know about this Tour? How much is being asked for it?

From what I heard the fella that had CEG got rid of his Tour and bought a Focus. When his new Focus forum didn't work out he just dropped the site. Just a rumor..... I hope it is wrong.

AF

I noticed the rocker panels myself just now...not like the SE covers.

Spent some time digging around ebay, but man the mileage on these sort of surprises me. $400 for a garden variety of engines with at least 145k on the clock.

Thanks for the reminder on LQK. They were helpful when I had to replace the front clip on mine when the wife rear ended a ranger and I found my SVT clip in the same color.

Thought about doing a bottom end swap, but I'm trying to avoid pulling the engine apart except the resealing it. Because I consider myself a bit of a hot rodder, this would point me to considering a 3.0 swap...but for me, I'd just as soon buy a 5.0, slice the floor pans out, and weld in the whole rear pan for a RWD conversion, just not pratical. Though, I am not going to throw away the SVT engine by any means if I pick this unit up. Something to hot rod.

My goal now would be to get it running with a standard V6, assuming the PCM would not have a issue with this. So much to learn, back to the search.

Thanks again.

You can easily do the intakes, and associated stuff. There should be no issue with the ECM. IF you are going to reseal are you doing the timing chain cover? if so swap the cams too.

my 2 cents,

AF

Judging by the pics, I'd guess that's a '98 SVT with a pre-98 trunk lid and a non-SVT front grill, possibly painted to match the body of the car. Don't quote me on that, but from the pics, that's my guess.

I would test it out thoroughly and then make your move from there. I honestly like the pre-98 trunk lid on there. Not bad looking actually.

My 98 SVT was manufactured in May 97. I just installed a remanufactured 2.5 SVT engine in mine (I spun a rod bearing). Got it for less then $1500 delivered. Full long block from a 2000 SVT. The company I got it from may have another. PM me if interested and I send you his contact info.

Before you buy the car, make sure to look over the engine harnesses carefully. 95 through 97 contours had a wire harness recall. They flake and crack apart. Look at the main positive cables from the battery and where the wires go into the harness plugs. If cracked or bare, beware. The 98 model year was not included in the recall but the early 98 SVTs were manufactured in 97. My wiring harnesses fell apart taking out the old engine. Took a month to find replacements and fix much of the wiring.

Thanks guys.

I had been hot on the trail of a Focus hatch to do a RWD conversion for some time, and drop in a 351 windsor/t5...but the wife is like:

Torino, sure. :D

Focus, F that. :angry:

Bad part is, I have not been able to get to see the car any closer.

Had spotted a 2001 cougar an hour from me, but can not reach the owner.

Sad part is, if I can not make traction with this, I'll step back to the old stand-by and find a early 90's F series. Just wanted to drive something that gets more that 8-10MPG as a daily driver.

Well, today, I was able to see the car up close.

Someone elected to pull the intake, air filter box, mass air sensor, a harness on the right side behind the head light was cut.

The front SVT cover / valve cover was gone.

Car itself, pretty clean body.

Interior ok, driver seat had a split seam up high {which I thought was a bit odd, not the lower seat cushion}.

I told the guy that has it, to me it's a $300 parts car now. The SVT parts from the engine are gone {cams are still in place}.

Only thing worth saving to me now is the front and rear bumper covers, the svt side skits, and maybe some of the interior stuff.

Other than that, I know I'm passing on this, and it's a shame as I could probably save the doors as mine have some rust on the very bottom.