FordContour.Org

Wiring harness for 1998 SVT

Wayne Ferrell

I have a 1998 SVT that has wiring harness issues. Anyone know where a new engine wiring harness can be purchased? SVT harness is different than regular V6.

1998 Contours apparently had wiring harness issues early on. Insulation becomes brittle, breaks apart and allows wires to fuse together.

I've owned car for three years putting 15,000 miles on it. Its been a good ride and would like to keep it going.

All help greatly appreciated.

Wayne Ferrell

San Angelo, TX 76904

New is no longer available. Hasnt been in some time.. Good used is only bet now.

-Dom

The harness is the same as any other v6 with the same options in the same year, ie: ABS, cruise control, fog lights, traction control....... with some work one year may be made to fit another. you have a 98 is it an early or 98.5?

AF

Hi Wayne,

I had the same problem last January. In my search and desperation for a harness, I ended up getting two of them. (Long story short, the first one I ordered took forever to arrive and the guy wasn't responding to me so I found another one). I still have the second one in the basement. If interested, I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it plus shipping. It should work on your car since I too have an early model. Mine was built in May 1997. PM me if interested.

Hi Wayne,

I've rebuilt a couple harnesses by piecing together sections from different years. V6 Cougars from 99-02 use the same harness, but some of the connectors are different. It's not a difficult job if you can splice and solder wires, but it is tedious and time consuming.

I'm not too far away... near Johnson City, TX.

• 3 months later...

Just an fyi... last year I was looking for a new harness for my son's 95 V6 Mystique... kept searching for  the number as indicated in the recall. Turns out the numbers had been superceeded... found one in stock from a dealer in Indiana... 525.00 shipped! have your dealer re-check the part number. You may find it at Greensales as well.

Found my old thread....

I just got off the off the phone with Greensales. They have confirmed that the Harness Replacement kit PN has been superceeded and the new number is: F5RZ-14K289T6AB.

Hope this helps...

Found my old thread....

I just got off the off the phone with Greensales. They have confirmed that the Harness Replacement kit PN has been superceeded and the new number is: F5RZ-14K289T6AB.

Hope this helps...

Is this for the 98 or the 95?