FordContour.Org

Code reader/scanner

Rob Morgan

I have been looking a various readers/scanners. It seems to me that the readers are very limited in that they can only show faults that have happened. Most of the reader/scanner models seem to have the ability to performe drive cycle testing, show pending faults, and analyze faults better. I have not seen any description of a device that can force a sensor to the ready state.

Equus seems to have a very nice package in their Equus/Innova 3110 CAN OBD Scanner which I have seen on eBay as low as 139.00 including case and PC Link software.

Does anyone have a good/bad experience with this equipment?

Does anyone have a better tool in a similar price range?

Thanks,

Rob

Auterra Dyno Scan and AutoEnginuity OBD2 scan tools for Windows are 2 good scan tools if you are looking for something for your laptop. If not, then there are a ton of other scanners out there - Just keep in mind the cheap ones don't do much accept get the codes and clear them. They can show basic datastream but can't gain access to Mode 6 and other specific areas of information from the manufacturers.

-Dom

Auterra Dyno Scan and AutoEnginuity OBD2 scan tools for Windows are 2 good scan tools if you are looking for something for your laptop. If not, then there are a ton of other scanners out there - Just keep in mind the cheap ones don't do much accept get the codes and clear them. They can show basic datastream but can't gain access to Mode 6 and other specific areas of information from the manufacturers.

-Dom

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the reply. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what mode 6 is. The Equus 3110 claims to deal with Generic Codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) and Manufacturer Specific Codes (P1, P3, and U1) and can determine sensor readiness status as well as doing drive cycles, etc. This seems like a tool that could assist me with diagnosing the problems with my 99 Contour 2.5 L Duratec. I do not have a laptop so at around $160 this seems like a good tool?

• 3 weeks later...

Good topic here. I've been interested in picking one up as well. Does anyone know of a good FAQ that would be a good intro tutorial to code readers? For example, when you say drive cycles, are you meaning reporting current status such as RPMs if the car is running, MPH if driving, etc.? Seems the shops around here charge $40 a pop just to hook you up (Autozone is free, I know), so I could justify a $160 price tag for one.

I just picked up an Auterra Dyno-Scan for the Palm. Popped the extra $50 for the version that will handle the CAN protocol so I can use it on Dad's Ford Five Hundred as well. Code reading, CEL resets, data logging.

It will indicate if the OBD-II self-tests are complete or not (if you have emissions testing that reads the computer rather than a sniffer, then you have to have completed the drive cycles for it to pass).

You can watch and/or log the engine RPMs, coolant temp, long and short term fuel trim, spark advance, and even (I think, haven't played with it much yet) the O2 sensor switching. Graph on the Palm, or export the log as a CSV file to use in a spreadsheet or something on the PC. Very cool tool.

I already had the Palm available so was looking specifically at Palm OS OBD-II software, and Auterra seemed the best price/features mix for me. Plus it's a lot smaller in the cabin than a laptop.

Good topic here. I've been interested in picking one up as well. Does anyone know of a good FAQ that would be a good intro tutorial to code readers? For example, when you say drive cycles, are you meaning reporting current status such as RPMs if the car is running, MPH if driving, etc.? Seems the shops around here charge $40 a pop just to hook you up (Autozone is free, I know), so I could justify a $160 price tag for one.
Edited by Linkman

• 4 years later...

Bringing up an old topic but does anyone have suggestions for a basic scanner?

Turns out that CA law doesn't allow auto part stores to scan codes for customers. Checked with Kragen and AutoZone.

I have a Ford Contour and a 2006 Toyota Sienna. If it works with both, it'll be better.

From what I read online, it has to be OBD2 and CAN compatible to work with both.

Any input is appreciated.

I've had an Innova 3150 for almost a year. Bargain bought less than $180 IIRC. Has brake codes. It's the only one I have experience with. I like it. Gar

I've had an Innova 3150 for almost a year. Bargain bought less than $180 IIRC. Has brake codes. It's the only one I have experience with. I like it. Gar

Thanks Gar.

I saw your other reply too. Don't know anyone who smokes here in CA.

:lol:

Thanks Gar.

I saw your other reply too. Don't know anyone who smokes here in CA.

:lol:

Funny profile quote I came across today at Mercedes......

"When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.

Not screaming, like the people in his car."

Gar

Funny profile quote I came across today at Mercedes......

"When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.

Not screaming, like the people in his car."

Gar

:drive1:

Finally bought the Equus 3100 from Amazon for $78. The local Kragen has it for $129.

AutoZone had a basic Actron for $60 and so I thought I'd spend a bit more for the larger display.

I was also tempted to get the GL1 for iPhone but I'll try the Equus first.

So how about some readings?

I know I have a different vehicle, 2.5L V6 auto, but I would still like to know a few readings by different reader. I have a Maxitrip. about the same cost.

so, TPS at idle?

LOD (engine load) at idle?

MAP?

Unfortunately, the one I bought doesn't do live data.

I've been thinking about returning it and replacing it with a basic $24 scanner or a higher end one that does live data. The one I have is in between.

The GL1 (or goLink) for iPhone doesn't have details on what kind of live data it displays. I have to research it a bit more before I buy it.

I saw the Maxtrip but the reviews on Amazon weren't good.

How long have you had yours? Has it been reliable so far?