FordContour.Org

mazda 6 differences?

mikeyboy

It's using most of

the Jag parts...

If you want I'll illustrate the 2.5L and 3.0L AJ-6 engine in the X-Type...

Exactly

the same (except the upper intake manifold).

-Doc

Ok... Here's the

breakdowns - Check it out:

AJ6.jpg

AJ62.jpg

Seeing here the only real difference is the upper intake manifold (No secondaries) but two intake manifold

"tuning valves".

Keep in mind that the X-Type uses drive by wire and VVT which is also illustrated here.

/>-Doc

i assume this function is to

smooth out torque curve across a broader rpm range (high and low), similar to what the secondaries do on our engines....

/>

is this a complete ecu control function or can it be actuated using some kind of "home built" circuitry by sensing

rpm....

Guest warmonger

Logically speaking, it should

provide similar benefits to what the secondaries did.

Howver, it seems better in that it allows maximum port area in the

intake runners because they are oval port and not split and it promotes better mixing of the fuel and air for the same reason;

all the while keeping air velocity high over a broad rpm range.

It almost seems better all the way around, but I would

need better pictures to the exact air path.

It is one thing to keep the air velocity high over a broad range, but

it is another thing to tune the length of the runner to the desired rpm range. The old style IMRC kept velocity high by using

two different intake runner diameters, but it also used two different manifold runner lengths that "tuned" the intake to two

separate areas. This new system appears to only have one path length. Still a compromise in some respects, but may be the best

option so far.

What are your comments on these thoughts?

Tom

Guest warmonger
Originally posted by PuckPuck@Jan 29 2003,

08:24 PM

i assume this function is to smooth out torque curve across a broader rpm range (high and low), similar to

what the secondaries do on our engines....

is this a complete ecu control function or can it be actuated using some

kind of "home built" circuitry by sensing rpm....

Should be easy enought to

do with home circuitry. These type of valves are either on/off, so a simple rpm based switch is the way to go. You may even

be able to use the imrc trigger from the pcm if the crossover point is the same.

More importantly, look at that VCT

setup. It is very simple and looks like you could scrounge the parts pretty cheaply. The controller for it is the biggest

problem, but that could be over come with a pcm and wiring harness swap.

warmonger

Warmonger,

The

intake I don't think will be that big of a problem - I can figure out when the valves open (RPM) and do that with RPM based

switches.

Now the VVT is a whole other subject. The X-Type uses a continuously variable timing , so it's not

just on or off. Also the VVT part is on the Intake camshaft, not the exhaust so it really has to do with the intake charge and

it's filling capacity and not with emissions like other VCT systems. I'll include a part of the factory technical

guide for you to read:

AJ66.jpg

-Doc

ok... i just though of

something... i beleive the st-220 intake has 2 large copper caps in the are where the mazda 6 intake has theses valves.... does

anyone have the actual specs (physical) of theses valves, i'm wondering if they could be fitted to an st220 intake, then

with some math, flow bench and other great things, make them open up (maybe even using imrc circuitry)... biggest reason why i

want st-220 is because of IAC location... on the mazda 6 it's on top and that would prolly interfere with the hood...

/>

btw: wouldn't it be great if ford actually uses the same signals to open close theses valves, as it does for the

IMRC... doubtful yeah.. but i can wish :)

Guest warmonger
Originally posted by Cardoc@Jan 29 2003, 10:29

PM

Warmonger,

The intake I don't think will be that big of a problem - I can figure out when the valves

open (RPM) and do that with RPM based switches.

Now the VVT is a whole other subject. The X-Type uses a

continuously variable timing , so it's not just on or off. Also the VVT part is on the Intake camshaft, not the exhaust so

it really has to do with the intake charge and it's filling capacity and not with emissions like other VCT systems.

I'll include a part of the factory technical guide for you to read:

AJ66.jpg

-Doc

When you examine the cutaway, it looks like the VCT hub is bolted to a standard

duratech cam sprocket. Then oil is fed from an oil passage through a feed tube, to the sprocket. Somewhere in there the

solenoid is used to control oil flow. According to the article it has chambers or pistons if you will, that push forward and

back with relation to the sprocket. The sprockets are locked together by the chain and the VCT hub is the connector between

the sprocket and the cam. Looks like you would want to obtain the intake cams, vct oiling parts, and the solenoid. Then you

have a control that varies the timing with some strategy. It would take a small programmable microprocessor, but that stuff is

getting cheap now. Just look at the G-tech and other gadgets like it that use microprocessors to do complex calculations, and

it only costs $135 retail.

First order of business is to see how much work and cost it is to hook up vct, then

it is a custom vct controller. I know that you would want to vary the camshaft phasing with relation to the crank as rpm

increases, so under acceleration the strategy would be simple. It is the sudden changes from accel to idle that require quick

response. We would have to come to a consensus as to what position the cam should be in at various loads and engine speeds,

then program the controller to work the solenoid. That would be it.

The question is: Does the VCT give the engine

enough of a boost to make the cost worthwhile? Does anyone have a dyno plot of a torque curve for this engine so we can

compare it?

warmonger

I'll look into that and

see what I can find. You could always go the cheap route and get a V-AFC from Apexi and use it like a VTEC controller (which is

basically the same thing) and run the programmable mode so it set's itself up for the best performance (No dyno needed) and

it's only $300.00. Plus it can control extra fuel through the MAF as well.

Just some thoughts - I have a

bunch of AWD stuff to post in the other thread.

-Doc

Apexi V-AFC info

href='http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_vafc.asp' target='_blank'>here!

Concerning the IMT

valves:

Intake Manifold Tuning (IMT) Valve

There are two intake manifold tuning (IMT) valves, an upper

and a lower, sometimes referred to as number one and two respectively. They are a two position (open and close) device used to

create a variable air intake system. The IMT valve positions are switched by signals from the PCM to optimize torque across the

engine´s speed and load range. The IMT valves work in conjunction with the throttle body. The upper IMT valve opens between

3,000 and 6,000 rpm while the lower IMT valve opens between 5,000 and 6,000 rpm.

This is direct from service

material from Jaguar. I don't have any graphs or pics right now to support this.

-Doc

Guest warmonger

So it would seem that they

are using two valves to create 3 different pathlengths for the air. Longest at low rpm, then a little shorter, and finally the

shortest path at 5-6000 rpm. Sounds to me like it would be superior to the dual runner intake just from that fact. It would

definitely be worth a try!

I could design the controller for it so that you could use the IMRC to activate the

controller, and then the controller would actuate the valves. The IMRC is activated by the PCM based upon load and rpm.

Notice that at light throttle positions and rpms above the IMRC opening point it still may not be opened. Basically, as long

as the imrc is active, then the controller will just sense rpm and actuate the valves accordingly.

I'm ready when

someone gets the manifold.

warmonger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.