FordContour.Org

98 Contour Clock Bulb

Wayne K

Hello,

My 98 Contour clock works but no light. From doing a search I see that the bulb can be replaced. Can anyone explain a safe way to remove the clock so I can replace the bulb. I don't want to carve up my dash.

Hello,

My 98 Contour clock works but no light. From doing a search I see that the bulb can be replaced. Can anyone explain a safe way to remove the clock so I can replace the bulb. I don't want to carve up my dash.

Try using pry tools that you can get at your auto parts store. Even Cheaper do you have any old creditcards?Just pop it out and use needle nose pliers to twist out the bulb.Hope this helps B)

Try using pry tools that you can get at your auto parts store. Even Cheaper do you have any old creditcards?Just pop it out and use needle nose pliers to twist out the bulb.Hope this helps B)

I always had trouble with the credit card thing, but I use it to protect the dash then use a small screw driver to pop it out. The bulb has a slot in it too so the screw driver works on it also. All bulbs for the clock are the same and I usually keep a few on hand from the JY. The difference between the 98+ and pre 98 is the green bulb cover of the 98+'s you have to reuse it. If you don't use the cover the clock is orange.

I always had trouble with the credit card thing, but I use it to protect the dash then use a small screw driver to pop it out. The bulb has a slot in it too so the screw driver works on it also. All bulbs for the clock are the same and I usually keep a few on hand from the JY. The difference between the 98+ and pre 98 is the green bulb cover of the 98+'s you have to reuse it. If you don't use the cover the clock is orange.

I tried using a screwdriver on the bulb and it was so old and brittle it cracked it.that is why I recommend the needle nose.Really good advice,I never though of using the card to protect it while prying.The credit card trick is easy ,the trick is snapping the card in half then using it like mechanics pry tools! B)

Thanks for the replys. Do you pry from the ends, middle, top or bottom. I noticed there are two small holes in the bottom lip that have something metallic behind the holes. Could it be that you push a paperclip end into the holes and that releases the clock? I just don't want to wreck anything.

Thanks for the replys. Do you pry from the ends, middle, top or bottom. I noticed there are two small holes in the bottom lip that have something metallic behind the holes. Could it be that you push a paperclip end into the holes and that releases the clock? I just don't want to wreck anything.

I use an old credit card to protect the edge of the bezel around it. then with a small screwdriver (1/4" wide blade) I pry the bottom edge of the clock out a bit on one end, and hold it out then do the same to the otherend. As always be careful, but it will usually just pop out then. Some times it is a bit tough to get out if it has never been out before. Just be paitent and work it a bit at a time. No hurry. It is made to come out since there are a couple of screws for the bezel behind it.

AF

• 2 weeks later...

Once the bulb is out, if you can't reuse the green 'condom' that covers the bulb, just get a green Sharpie permanent marker pen and color the bulb to the shade you want. Works very well.

• 2 months later...
Or you can get 3.2mm lamp covers here in various colors, $2.50 for 10. red, green, yellow, blue ....

MAT Electronics requires a $25.00 minimum product order

Parts-Express.com has them too and it won't cost you a minimum of $25 bucks that's a lot of bulb covers.... !

MAT Electronics requires a $25.00 minimum product order

Parts-Express.com has them too and it won't cost you a minimum of $25 bucks that's a lot of bulb covers.... !

I finally got a bulb at the Ford dealer ( $5.20 ) and was able to remove the old cover by taking a razer blade and cutting around the base and slit up the side and then installing it on the new bulb. The clock light now works but now I have a new issue. On the left side by the AM/PM readout there are some fine lines going all different directions. Looks like shattered glass or spider cracking. Any ideas onwhat thats all about.

I finally got a bulb at the Ford dealer ( $5.20 ) and was able to remove the old cover by taking a razer blade and cutting around the base and slit up the side and then installing it on the new bulb. The clock light now works but now I have a new issue. On the left side by the AM/PM readout there are some fine lines going all different directions. Looks like shattered glass or spider cracking. Any ideas onwhat thats all about.

Just whant to add that it is green light as with the rest of the display that's showing through these fine lines.

Your display is bad / damaged somehow. You have two choices get a new clock or replace the display. Both options can be acquired at the JY.

Why change the just the display? well if you have the pats light in your clock those are harder to come by, so you can get a non pats clock and use that display in yours.

my 2 cents,

AF

• 12 years later...

You can use a PC37 N light bulb but you have to make it fit.  Take off the white plastic part of the clock assembly.  Use a Dremel tool with a very small grinder and grind out the steel part of the light bulb socket in the circuit board just enough to accept the larger locking tabs of the new bulb.

I replaced mine with LED. Never going to touch that sucker again in my lifetime...lol.

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2021 at 8:07 AM, BuckeyeSVT said:

I replaced mine with LED. Never going to touch that sucker again in my lifetime...lol.

What size bulb did you use ? I’m looking to replace one . Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

It was a custom fit bulb that I soldered in quite a many years ago... lol. It's still working though to my knowledge.